Objectives of Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre
The objectives of Eastern Zonal Cultural centre as per Memorandum of Understanding (MOA) are:
- To preserve, innovate and promote the projection and dissemination of arts of the Zone comprising the states of West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Sikkim, Tripura, Manipur, Assam and Union Territory Andaman and Nicobar Islands (hereinafter called the Zone) and any other contiguous States/Union Territory that fall under the broad disciples of Sangeet, Natak, Lalit Kala and Sahitya and to develop and expand a Zonal Centre of excellence in creative arts at Shantiniketan in the State of West Bengal to be called the Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre.
- To develop and promote the rich diversity and uniqueness of various arts of the Zone and to upgrade and enrich consciousness of the people about their cultural heritage.
- To lay special emphasis in its activities on the linkages among various areas through evolution of styles and their contribution to the larger composite identity of cultural heritage of India.
- To make special efforts to encourage folk and tribal arts and to frame special programmes for the preservation and strengthening of the vanishing art forms.
- To frame such programmes as would encourage and involve the youth of the Zone amongst themselves and with the youth of the rest of the Country in creative cultural communications through the process of seminars, exchanges, workshops and such other cultural activities relating to preservation, development and dissemination of cultural heritage of India.
- To pursue such other activities and programmes as would strengthen and promote the cultural inter-linkages amongst States including setting up of Sub- centres within the Zone.
- To establish, administer and manage Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre and manage all movable and immovable properties therein.
- To grant fellowships and scholarships for carrying out research or study in furtherance of these objects.